Re: simulating the kernel crash and kernel panic

SandeepKsinha wrote:
Hi Thalib,

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:56 PM, H M Thalib <hmthalib@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:hmthalib@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

        On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:54 PM, H M Thalib<hmthalib@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:hmthalib@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            I want to test my kernel for stability. Can you help me in
            artificially
            simulating the kernel crash, kernel panic scenarios. Is
            there any
            standard way to simulate it. maybe by running applications,
            scripts. but
            I dont want to modify anything in the kernel space.

        Try to study fault-injection. It's documented in
        Documentation/fault-injection.txt inside kernel source tree.
        Never use
        it 'til now, so I only can give you a clue.

    Thanks -

    But this steps involves in kernel space,

    I am looking for producing kernel panic/crash/hang by running some
    script/application in user space - Is there any tool/standard
    defined way to do that

Why do you feel that you would be able to achieve this? Don't you think that such scripts would then we used as a malware.

I think in order to have such a protection we have a user space and a kernel space. You can panic/hang user space processes using user space programs unless you have a loop hole in the kernel implementation. Which no one will put intentionally.

You are exactly correct. I want to check whether my kernel is stable or it is having any loop holes left. I hope this types of test should be conducted by the kernel testers/Linux distribution Maintainer as a routine test. to check whether their system is stable with the kernel.

Regards,
Sandeep.