RE: unloading a module with no exit routine?

The way I understood it, I thought, is that the ability to unload a module is set in your Kernel
Configuration (when loadable modules is Enabled of course).

I was in the belief that __exit  (I'm not sure if that's what you mean with exit() function)
only was relevant when they're modules built _into_ the Kernel.

I quickly looked at lkmg and this is what it states :

The __exit macro causes the omission of the function when the module is built into the kernel, and like __exit, has no effect for loadable modules.
Again, if you consider when the cleanup function runs, this makes complete sense; built−in drivers don't need a cleanup function, while loadable modules do.

It's not my place, as I'm still pretty wet behind the ears with Linux, but that's how thought I understood it ?

Best Regards,
Kris