Re: PF_PACKET socket does not capture packets in both the directions

Hi...

Not an expert in network stack, but let me share my thought....

On 6/23/09, Lakshmana Reddy <rvlreddy.tech@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying debug a tcpdump problem which does not capture Tx packets on
> physical interface when the interface is bonded..
> I.e if eth2,eth3 are bonded to veth0, then,
> tcpdump -i veth0 --> captures packets on both directions, where as
> tcpdump -i eth2 (eth2 is active) --> does not capture Tx packets, only
> captures receive packets..

I suspect that after being bonded, when you send data to the bond
device, it will flow to the data link layer. In this layer, libpcap is
no longer "capturing" your data being sent.

OTOH (and this is also my guess too) , when receiving data, each
packets are received not only by their bond device, but also by each
member of the bond. Somehow, this operation still happen in the
network layer where pcap operates...hence it is sniffable.

regards,

Mulyadi