USB HSDPA Dongles /dev/ttyUSB* Ports

hello all,
    I've a question about the various ZTE HSDPA USB Dongles and the
ports which they create once they've been ejected from storage mode to
vendor specific mode and taken over by the drivers/usb/serial/option.c
driver.

I'm working on an embedded linux system using a 2.6.20 kernel. Back in
that version of the kernel there were no ZTE devices supported by the
option driver but I've augmented the option driver so that they are
recognised and handled by the option driver. I can establish a PPP
connection to them as well so all is good with a manual connection. The
problem is automating the process.

The embedded device could have any Dongle plugged in but we're mainly
working with Huawei and ZTE devices. Huawei devices are very convenient
as usb_modeswitch will switch them out of storage mode and all their
devices once switched communicate with /dev/ttyUSB0

ZTE Devices are less convenient as all the ones I have seen can be
switched with  the eject command but once the dongle is ejected four
serial ports are created and the port you want to talk to is not fixed.
I've seen the same ZTE device communicating on different ports on
different runs. That's fine when you're connecting up manually but not
when you're trying to automate it.

The system we've got here uses mdev which does appear to be getting
passed major and minor number and these are being honoured by mdev  when
it creates the device nodes. I just wonder is the option driver
responsible for creating these device numbers and perhaps creating them
in a random order. Is it an issue in the Dongles, mdev or option?

I could care less about the random nature of things if I could write a
script to test each of the ports created and see which one gives back
the OK to an ATZ command. I can't see a method of doing this unless
somebody who is not a newbie here knows how I could do this. I can do
that manually on another system which has kermit installed on it. But my
 embedded device does not as yet have kermit and I can't see how to
automate querying the various ports even if I installed kermit.

If anybody has any thoughts and could reply I'd be most grateful.

John