RE: PC to PC debugging in Linux Environment

> From: Greg KH [mailto:greg@xxxxxxxxx]

> Use a network console, having all of your kernel log messages get sent
> to a separate machine over the network.  Works very well.  Read how to
> do this in the Documentation/ directory of the kernel.

Greg, thanks for your reply.

However, I am working on CENTOS 5.2 Linux box. There is a service for
the netconsole under CENTOS, and I have used the same. For this, I did
the following.

Target system means where we load (insert) the driver with debug
messages.
Host System means where we see the debug messages i.e. received debug
messages from target system.

Target System Configuration

Open the /etc/sysconfig/netconsole file and modify the following
variables.

a)	LOCALPORT - keep the default port number only
b)	SYSLOGADDR - This is the host (remote) system IP address
c)	SYSLOGPORT - keep the default port number only
d)	SYSLOGMACADDR - This is the host system MAC address

Then, save the file and exit.

Just run the netconsole service with the following command.
# service netconsole restart

Host System Configuration

Just run the syslogd service with the following command to log the
target system debug messages. However, this service starts by default.
# service syslog restart

This is working fine for SINGLE thread. If the driver has two threads,
then I am missing the debug messages from one of the threads. For
example, in the USB mass storage driver, I am getting the messages only
when I insert the module (modprobe -a usb_storage). But, when I insert
the actual mass storage device then the debug messages in STORAGE_PROBE
function was not logged into the host machine /var/log/messages file
where as I am able to see the same (STORAGE_PROBE function) debug
messages in the target system /var/log/messages.

Please let me know if I missed any configuration settings.

Thanks and Regards,
Srinivas G