Re: Memory Concepts [+Newbie]

That book << Understating the Linux Virtual Memory Manager>> clearly
elaborate why ZONE_NORMAL is 896 on the section 4.1 Linear Address
Space.

SEE  the comment about ZONE_HIGHMEM,  include/linux/mmzone.h

#ifdef CONFIG_HIGHMEM
        /*
         * A memory area that is only addressable by the kernel through
         * mapping portions into its own address space. This is for example
         * used by i386 to allow the kernel to address the memory beyond
         * 900MB. The kernel will set up special mappings (page
         * table entries on i386) for each page that the kernel needs to
         * access.
         */
        ZONE_HIGHMEM,
#endif