Memory Concepts [+Newbie]

I'm reading Mel Gorman Understating the Linux Virtual Memory Manager and also TANENBAUM Modern Operating System I don't get some basic concepts of the Memory Management in Linux Kernel.

The first question is, what is a memory bank, It's not clear if its a physical section of the memory of if its a chip (physical) itself.

The ZONE_NORMAL zone refer only to kernel direct memory mapped, that means only to kernel pages and kernel programs (such as daemons)?

Why is the ZONE_NORMAL so large (896 MB)? How to deal with low memory systems?

The ZONE_HIGHMEM zone refer to kernel not mapped directly, so that includes userspace programs right?

I googled and searched for all those answers but couldn't find a direct and consistent answer, thats why I'm asking for your guys help.

Thanks very much for you time,

Marcos Roriz