Re: communication between userspace and kernelspace

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Ramesh <rramesh1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You could use netlink sockets
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 9:56 PM, niranjan puram
> <puram.niranjan.kumar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>     I need to set some variables defined in a kernel driver from the
>> user space. Is there a clean simple way to do that? I thought of the
>> following methods: socket connection, RPC ,etc. but was not able to
>> find enough documentation regarding the same. Please help me, its
>> urgent.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Niranjan Kumar
>>
>> --
>

>I need to set some variables defined in a kernel driver from the
>user space.

Is that all you need to do? Or this involves heavy data transfer?
Also, do you need to define certain things when your kernel module
is inited or you have to do this much later?

IMHO, you can use module params while inserting kernel module and
depending on them you can do certain initialization etc. If you need it
later i.e. after kernel module has been insmoded and being used then
I think you can use /proc interface. If it involved data transfer between
kernel and userspace then probably you will need netlink sockets etc.

Regards,
Sandeep.