Re: Embedded Linux Vs WinCE

On Thursday 02 April 2009 11:07:03 Vivek Kumar Gupta wrote:
> My manager asked to check difference between WinCE vs Embedded Linux.

Please do not hicjack other threads. Instead, start a new thread (do not hit
reply-to and change the subject).

> I am googling.....but did not a satisfactory result.

> I just want comparison in
>
> 1. Foot print

That depends what you compile in and which modules you load. I assume you mean
memory footprint. Thing is, you can compile a *very* small kernel in size,
but the memory footprint is determine at run time (perhaps some other can
give you specifics).

Have a look at the -tiny patchet perhaps.

> 2. Wireless mainly RF , WiFi, zigbee, Bluetooth etc support

Linux has support for a lot of devices, and it is reasonably straight-forward
to add support for new hardware via device drivers.

It is a bit difficult to answer this without the devices. You should look at
the kernel and see what's supported and what's not. That's not really a topic
for this list anyway. If some hardware device is not supported, and you have
to write a driver for it - then you can ask here for help if you get stuck.

> 2. Market survey of 2008, to check which is popular.

Do you want us to provide us with a survey for free? Or do you want us to do
the googling for you?

--
 -> henrik