Re: The biggest continual physical memory we can get during the kernel running?

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Peter Chen <hzpeterchen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have two questions about alloc continual physical memory, hope you can
> give me some tips.
>
> 1. How biggest continual physical memory the kernel can be ensured to give
> during the kernel running?
> 2. What is the threshold value for  alloc_page and kmalloc?

both asking the same question.

that is a difficult question to answer.   it start changing when the
system starts running, and perhaps the contiguity property is needed
in graphic card drivers - are u in that area?

but check this out:

http://lwn.net/Articles/211505/

it is trying to meet what you are asking - getting the memory to be
less fragmented as much as possible.   and look into the page
migration (http://lwn.net/Articles/160201/) codes as well.

BUT SOrry...i cannot answer your question.   just have to call
alloc_pages() or kmalloc()...and if it returned, contiguity is
guaranteed.   as for interpretation of /proc/slabinfo and its use to
answer your question.....i think there may be a way.....but i am not
sure.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh