Re: Understanding the Linux Kernel book?

On Saturday 21. March 2009 13.49.35 you wrote:
> Thanks Henrik
>
> The book I was referring to was "Understanding the Linux Kernel 3rd
> edition". I only mentioned that in the subject line, sorry. The other
> book you are referring to that one is even older.

Actually, they're about the same, as the kernel had a codefreeze at that
point, waiting for git to be usable :)

> I guess the general
> operation of the kernel is close enough to how it was documented for in
> the 2.6.10 kernel and the UTLK book?

Yes! That's it. You use to the books to "get a feel" for it and to understand
how you start working on it, where to look for stuff etc. From then on, you
really need to look at the source-code.

As a practical tip in source-code browsing, look at code2color and do
something like this

	code2color filename.[ch] | less -FR

I use that all the time, and it's worth it weight in gold ;-)

henrik