Re: Understanding the Linux Kernel book?

On Friday 20. March 2009 23.17.47 Joe Ryan wrote:
> Hello guys

Hi!

> I am very interested in learning all I can about the kernel architecture
> etc. Eventually I plan to start helping with small programming tasks etc.
> Would anyone know if there is substantial changes not reflected in the
> book.

Which book would that be?

> In other words is there numerous subsystems that have been rebuilt or
> replaced. Does the system still bootstrap the kernel the same (same
> functions etc)

AFAIK, the bootstrapping is the same. Of course, the drivers etc has been
updated substantially, as well as the kernel API. For instance, both UTLK 3rd
ed. and Linux kernel programming is somewhat outdated, both in API as well as
a few other areas.

Personally, I can only vouch for the kernel/sched-part, but I suspect the
other areas has seen some development since 2.6.10 ;-)

> Thanks
>
> Joe Ryan

My best advise, read Understanding the linux kernel (or at lest use it as a
reference), and Linux kernel programming. From there, you should be able to
get started, and learn how to read the source and figure out the API for
yourself :)

Also, the Linux kernel in a nutshell is a good book;
http://www.kroah.com/lkn/

HTH
henrik