Re: Zero-copy for large amounts of streaming data

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 05:30:16PM -0500, Shawn Bohrer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 08:52:40PM +0800, Priya Suryanarayanan wrote:
> >    I have not ever used the direct I/O APIs. I understand these enable
> >    mapping user buffers to kernel address space ( get_user_pages() ) and
> >    the reverse - mapping kernel buffers to user address space ( mmap() ).
> >    However, I find the explanation in Rubini hard to follow, (especially
> >    for mmap()), and the sample drivers are slightly better.
>
> I would recommend reading chapter 15 of Linux Device Drivers, Third
> Edition:
>
> http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

Sorry I just realized that when you said "Rubini" that you probably were
referring to LDD3.  So if reading chapter 15 of LDD3 didn't answer your
questions then the next thing I would look for is some example code.
Luckily the kernel source is almost always full of good examples so why
not grap the kernel tree and try:

git grep get_user_pages drivers/

The list is actually rather small but there is still enough there to
give you several examples.

--
Shawn