Zero-copy for large amounts of streaming data

All,

The hardware design for which I am writing a Linux driver includes XAUI, DDR3 and is attached via a x8 PCI Express link. All this amounts to significantly high link bandwidths and I am worried about the ability of my driver and the OS to keep pace if I use the traditional methods of copying data from user-space to kernel-space and then setting it up for DMA.

I have not ever used the direct I/O APIs. I understand these enable mapping user buffers to kernel address space ( get_user_pages() ) and the reverse – mapping kernel buffers to user address space ( mmap() ). However, I find the explanation in Rubini hard to follow, (especially for mmap()), and the sample drivers are slightly better.

Looking for some advice on what are the robust, standard zero-copy options in Linux 2.6. Where can I get access to a good explanation of the steps to follow. I notice that even the Documentation folder does not have anything.

Very appreciative of any suggestions.

Regards,

- priya