Re: The Linux Staging tree, what it is and is not.

Hi Greg,

> It's been many months since the Linux Kernel developers conference,
> where the linux-staging tree was discussed and role changed.  It
> turns out that people are still a bit confused as to what the staging
> tree is for, and how it works.

[ ... ]

> If anyone has any questions that this summary doesn't answer, please
> let me know.

Just for reference: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/6/10/329

1. Could you write a little bit more about the staging to mainline
driver roadmap? I'm interested in how it's decided wheather the driver
is *ready*.

2. Lets assume I found some kernel driver out-there that have its users
here and there and is more or less (rather less) maintained. Let's
assume it supports some obscure yet cool hardware. Making it work on
various distros with various kernels is a pain and takes time. What can
we do to see it included in staging and maybe promoted to mainline
some day? Lets assume the author is not responsive, doesn't care or is
not interested anymore and the driver is under GPL.

	Mariusz