Re: The Linux Staging tree, what it is and is not.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:18:34PM +0100, Mariusz Kozlowski wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> > It's been many months since the Linux Kernel developers conference,
> > where the linux-staging tree was discussed and role changed.  It
> > turns out that people are still a bit confused as to what the staging
> > tree is for, and how it works.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > If anyone has any questions that this summary doesn't answer, please
> > let me know.
>
> Just for reference: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/6/10/329
>
> 1. Could you write a little bit more about the staging to mainline
> driver roadmap? I'm interested in how it's decided wheather the driver
> is *ready*.

That's simple, it just needs to meet the normal kernel coding guidelines
and acceptance rules.  Those are documented very well in
Documentation/SubmittingPatches and Documentation/SubmittingDrivers.
Also, a review of the proper subsystem maintainer is needed.

Some drivers have already made the move over, the benet network driver
did it just this week.

> 2. Lets assume I found some kernel driver out-there that have its users
> here and there and is more or less (rather less) maintained. Let's
> assume it supports some obscure yet cool hardware. Making it work on
> various distros with various kernels is a pain and takes time. What can
> we do to see it included in staging and maybe promoted to mainline
> some day? Lets assume the author is not responsive, doesn't care or is
> not interested anymore and the driver is under GPL.

If you are willing to help out with this, and you have asked the author
if they object to adding it, with no response, I have no problem adding
it to the staging tree.  This has happened many times already with the
code in drivers/staging/ if you look at it.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h