From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christoph Gysin
Sent: Sunday, 15 February 2009 8:25 AM
To: microbit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: reverse-engineering a usb device

I'm not sure if I understood completely. I found the code of Atmel's
USB stack and it looks to me that USBGenericRequest is just Atmel's
implementation of creating USB messages. Linux calls them USB Request
Blocks (URB). I don't know what the USB standard calls them, I don't
have access it.
<<<<<<<<

Yep, I must have wires crossed, it's a couple of years ago. The original MSD
project of Atmel was way before the USB Framework appnote. USBGenericRequest
indeed is Atmel's own code. I recall having some of my own commands in the
enum code/control pipe handling. I should dig it up one day, it's on an old
HDD *somewhere*.

> I do recall that Snoopy didn't log nor display string descriptors et al,
> but I thought it did display what's going on in the control pipe (ie.

Shouldn't string descriptors show up in lsusb -v?
<<<<<<<<<

I meant that (at the time when I used SnoopyPro) string descriptor, or the
strings themselves for that matter, did not log *at all* on SnoopyPro
(running under Win XP!)
I wasn't using Linux then yet :-(

I hopethat clarifies better what I posted back then. Or better, perhaps
you've cracked that nut..

Best regards,
Kris