Re: debugging kernel hang (can't type anything)

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 05:22:06PM +0530, Sukanto Ghosh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made some changes to the memory management part of the kernel
> as an experiment. Now when I boot into that kernel and start some
> heavy processes (which cause paging), the kernel hangs. I can't even
> type anything.
>
> I have gone through the 'paper on debugging kernel oops or hang'
> (http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/2003-08/msg00347.html)
>
> In this paper Erik says that to get the stack trace we can type
> 'Alt-SysRq-t' which prints the stack trace and when it's not possible
> to type anything, then it's best to use serial port + console. he says
> the config for lilo would be: console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0
>
> As I have grub I am using the following lines:
>
> default=0
> timeout=15
> title Fedora (2.6.27.4)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.4 ro root=/dev/sda1
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.4.img
>         serial --unit=0 --speed=9600 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
>         terminal --dumb --timeout=10 serial console
>

> CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ was enabled in my config file.
>
> My test kernel is running inside a Virtual machine (VM) (VMware), with
> its serial port 0 redirected to a file.
> VM OS: fedora Core 9 with modified kernel 2.6.27.4
> Host OS: ubuntu hardy 2.6.24.3
>
> My problem is I am not getting any kind of output in the file to which
> I redirected the serial port of the VM except a bunch of "Press any
> key to continue .. " messages.
>
> should I be providing the 'alt-sysrq-t' input through the serial port,
> if so, how ?
> can i connect a host terminal to the serial port of the VM.
> Vmware gives me three options about the serial port of the Virtual Machine
> i) connect it to physical port of the host, ii) connect to a named
> pipe and, iii)connect it to a file in the host.
>
> Please help ...
>

> --
> Regards,
> Sukanto Ghosh
>
> --

Hi,

What I would suggest first is to enable the nmi watchdog to detect the hardlockups,
see Documentation/nmi_watchdog.txt

And enabling earlyprintk through the serial port, and keep it when the console is
set, this way you will see the printk messages through the virtual serial line.

As a parameter: earlyprintk=serial,ttyS0,115200,keep

9600 is too slow.