Re: kernel

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Sharanagouda Biradar <sharanrbiradar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi everyone
pls can anyone tell me how to log in as root in linux (i am using ubuntu 8.1 OS ) even though i am the only user in the OS the system is not giving the admin previliges..m also using windows vista along side(multi boot) ,also can any one pls tell me how to download kernel 2.6.9-42 source code and build it ? any good links are appriciated

--
Regards
sharan

Ubuntu does  not allow root logins by default. There is a way to do it, but it's too much trouble.

A better way is to use "sudo" command for your root related activities.

Also, since by default Ubuntu does not have root access, the root password is not set.
So, the first thing to do is set root password with by :
$ sudo su
# passwd
< Set root password>
# exit
$ su -
< Give root password>

Now you are in root mode.

Why do you want such an old kernel. You should pick up post-2.6.24 kernels.

And ,finally, as Anuz suggested this was a question for the Ubuntu mailing list.

Thanks,
Raseel