Re: [uClinux-dev] why no-mmu cannot support binfmt_aout.c

2009/1/26 Greg Ungerer <gerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Miloody,
>
> loody wrote:
>>
>> I try to compile kernel with support binfmt_aout.c, CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT.
>> but it says "fs/binfmt_aout.c:438: error: `TASK_SIZE_26' undeclared
>> (first use in this function)", and I check in asm/memory.h, it only
>> support TASK_SIZE_26 when kernel with mmu support.
>> Does that mean kernel without mmu supporting cannot run a.out binary file?
>
> Yes, that is right.
>
> Seeya
> Gerg

Hi:
thanks for your kind help.
Would you please tell me why kernel without mmu cannot support a.out
binary file?
And does that mean the only way to execute the a.out binary file is by ld?

BTW, I also find that if I want uclinux kernel to support ELF binary
file, I also have to enable the mmu option.
But the format of cross-compiled binary file like busybox is only ELF,
if there is option I can add to let  busybox and other binary files
compiled in different format.

If I guess correctly above, does that mean uclinux doesn't support ELF?
appreciate your kind help,
miloody