Re: [uClinux-dev] Mount romfs without MTD?

On Jan 21, 2009, at 7:13 PM, Greg Ungerer wrote:

Hi Stephane,

Stephane Lambert wrote:
I'm working on mounting romfs for kernel 2.6.19 on a new architecture
and I have a question:
It is possible to mount romfs without MTD support?

Where does the romfs sit?
If on a disk you would logically use  IDE or SCSI block device.
It it sits on raw flash then MTD is the logical choice.
If its in RAM then either ramdisk or MTD would make sense.

If it's on raw flash BUT that flash is directly mapped, won't ramdisk work? Obviously won't work for any flash that requires a complex map, or a NAND flash with complicated access, but for read-only access to a straight-on NOR flash, I don't see why you need the MTD layer.

Then again, I may be completely wrong; set me straight if so :)
-
allon