Re: Getting NIC statistics using Ethtool.

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Paraneetharan Chandrasekaran <paraneetharanc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
           Thank you. But my intention is getting statistics in user space through ethtool. The ethtool_interfaces like get_ethtool_stats, get_drvinfo etc are in kernel space. If call the Ioctl with ETHTOOL_GSTATS, I dont know how to parse the returned data. What is the format of the returned statistics?  is there any format which all the drivers support?

 Return foramat is of a type struct  ethtool_stats (defined inside kernel header  file include/linux/ethtool.h).
Unfortunately in user space you do not have such a header file available, hence you should redifine those structure inside your code.

Just go through ethtool source code , it will really help you.
"http://www.sfr-fresh.com/linux/misc/ethtool-6.tar.gz/"
(Ethtool defines all the necessary structures like ethtool_stats inside ethtool-copy.h file.)

Thanks,
Pranav

Thanks,
Pranav