Re: [ MAE Comp : 1579 ] use of losetup

One practical usage is while using Linux USB file-storage gadget driver. When you want to access data
written by USB host on regular file on gadget itself, you can do losetup on the regular file. After associating
loop device to regular file, the device becomes valid block device allowing you to perform mount, unmount, read ,
write etc. operations.
Reference:
http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/file_storage.html

I don't know exactly, but another usage of it is in while creating iso image of data.

--
Kalpesh