Re: UDEV on ARM Linux Kernel 2.6.26

El Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:23:47AM +0530 Vivek Kumar Gupta ha dit:

>    I want to use UDEV for USB / SD Card on ARM Based Embedded System Device,
>    with Linux Kernel 2.6.26.
>

>    Though I have enabled UDEV via make menuconfig
>
>    In General setup
>    CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
>    and in File systems ->Pseudo filesystems
>    CONFIG_SYSFS=y
>
>    Nothing is visible when I run my kernel on Embedded Device. I really don't
>    see any thing from udev (like udevd or anything executable from udev),
>    though I have also created sys directory in rootfs

udevd and other udev binaries are user space tools, you can't expect
them being created by the kernel

>    Checked Busybox latest version also there is nothing to support UDEV
>    there.

afaik busybox has mdev (mini-udev), though i don't know what
functionality it offers

>    Questions:
>
>    1. How to enable UDEV is there any thing I am missing, or I have to take
>    some other path to enable.

either build busybox with mdev support or build a full udev
(ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/)

be sure to mount /sys on system startup

>    2. How to get UDEV executables on Embedded Device I mean on my rootfs
>    (created by busybox)

i don't know your build environment, probably you have to copy it to
your rootfs directory

>    3. Will it run for all default USB Mass storage with-out writing any
>    rules?

i think so, though i'm no udev expert

please stop cross-posting to the ARM and USB lists, your question
isn't ARM or USB specific (actually it isn't either a kernel related
question)

--
Matthias Kaehlcke
Embedded Linux Engineer

        Representation of the world, like the world itself, is
        the work of men; they describe it from their own point
         of view, which they  confuse with the absolute truth
                          (Simone de Beauvoir)
                                                                 .''`.
    using free software / Debian GNU/Linux | http://debian.org  : :'  :
                                                                `. `'`
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 47D8E5D4                  `-