Re: RAM/memory cacheable by linux kernel/host CPU ?

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:04 PM, yogeshwar sonawane <yogyas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> By default, all memory/RAM is cacheable by linux kernel /host CPU ?
> What is the scenario with other OSes ?

Caching is a big topics.   Even simple microcontroller like Blackfin
processor (Media Processor) also implement complex caching algorithm
involving some LRU scheme inside their architecture, let alone x86
processor, which have L3, L2, L1 caching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

Different types of cache is discussed here:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/cache/char.htm
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/cache/funcSummary-c.html

UTLK3 does have some diagrams on cacheline and its implication for
data alignment.

And this paper (100+pages) is classic - which covers :

http://people.redhat.com/drepper/cpumemory.pdf

> If RAM is cacheable, then the memory-mapped IO regions of the
> peripherals are also cacheable ?

For I/O there are Write-through and write-back caching.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh