Re: I need to crash and hang Linux

Hi List and Shankar,

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:16 AM, shankar <rahulanand97@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>       I  am looking for innovative ways to crash and 'hang' my
>> embedded Linux board ( ARM11 cpu ).

Ok, I confess, I don't know even a single word about ARM (or for that
matter embedded).

But, will this work?:
1. A module which has a call to BUG() family
2. Above won't hang you machine, just make it dump the stack and kill
the kernel. But probably taking two spinlocks over the same variable
can certainly hang a normal system. This again can be done in a
module. Your module can decide the way (1 or 2) depending on the
userspace argument while inserting the module.

It is quite possible that either is not what you want or cannot be
done - apologies for the noise in that case.

>> This is to check if I can debug the problem with my Lauterbach ICD debugger
>> set up with Linux awareness. ( In the process, I also hope to learn some OS
>> internals. )
>>
>> Eventhough I can recompile the OS , I want to avoid that.  I can  insmod modules.
>>
>> Can I do this also from user-space ??
>
> Hi, try accessing an invalid pointer from user space (e.g. 0x0000) and
> put a break point at do_page_fault().
> Lauterbach should break there...
>
> Good luck,
> Thomas