EXT2 as a module

Hello everybody,

I want to add some piece of code in the ext2 file system's code and
see the results(just want to add some printk's)

My system is using ext3 file system.

One method of doing it is by extracting the source code and then
adding whatever code I want to add and then compile kernel the kernel
again.

Another method ( I am not sure):

I compile the kernel and compile the ext2 file system support as a
module. So whenever I will mount any ext2 file system the ext2 module
will be loaded and I will be able to use the ext2 file system.

My question is :
now when I want to add some more piece of code can I compile only the
ext2 part and unload the old module and load the new compiled module
of ext2 ?

will it work ??

That will save me from compiling the whole kernel .

Is it possible ?? If yes kindly tell me how do I compile the ext2 code
as a module next time without compiling the whole kernel.

--
Regards,
Rishi B. Agrawal