Re: What are the different timer that exists in the kernel?

thank you Raz and Sitsofe,

I just found another info - direct from Intel engineering (reply in green):

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/isn/Community/en-US/forums/thread/980598.aspx

And other useful stuff:

http://cs.smu.ca/~jamuir/rdtscpm1.pdf

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/isn/Community/en-US/forums/thread/980590.aspx

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Raz <raziebe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The bellow is a list of Linux timers listed in Bovet's[1] Book.
> 2.1     PIT - programmable interval timer
> PIT is Linux default scheduler timer. Its frequency is 1KHZ at best.
> 2.2     TSC - Time Stamp counter
> All x86 processors include a CLK processor input pin. The processor
> has a timer which increases at each clock signal. This clock timer is
> read by "rdtscl" assembly command. With 2GHZ the time stamp counter
> will increment every 500 picoseconds.
> 2.3     RTC - Real time clock
> Real time clock (RTC) frequency is up to 8 KHz and accuracy is quite
> good. RTC is running on battery and is independent from the PC power.
> 2.4     HPET - High Precision Event timer
> High Precision Event timer is a new timer developed by Intel and
> Microsoft. It is a chip containing several 64bit or 32bit timer. Each
> timer frequency is at least 10Mhz. It raises a hardware interrupt
> every 100ns.
> 2.5     CPU Local Timer
> The Local APIC is in present x86 microprocessors. It is based on the
> bus clock signal.
> 2.6     PM - ACPI power management
> ACPI (Advanced configuration power interface) is resident in almost
> all ACPI-based motherboards. This is a simple counter with frequency
> 3.58 MHz. It does not generate any interrupts but accesses able
> through an I/O port.
>

> On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Peter Teoh wrote:
>>>
>>> Q1:   the assembly instruction:   "rdtsc" will always get its clocking
>>> from PIT right?
>>
>> I doubt it. I believe on x86 RDTSC just reads a bunch of registers updated
>> by the CPU when it ticks. It's not really a separate programmable piece of
>> hardware.
>>
>>> Q2:   the remark for select_clocksource() said it will select the
>>> best, but the function is a loopless, deterministic function that just
>>> return value from a linked list.   Hm.....cannot understand it
>>> usage...
>>
>> You might want to trace execution from clocksource_register (and the
>> functions that end up being called from it) in that case to see HOW the list
>> is built.
>>
>> --

Regards,
Peter Teoh