Re: What are the different timer that exists in the kernel?

The bellow is a list of Linux timers listed in Bovet's[1] Book.
2.1	PIT - programmable interval timer
PIT is Linux default scheduler timer. Its frequency is 1KHZ at best.
2.2	TSC - Time Stamp counter
All x86 processors include a CLK processor input pin. The processor
has a timer which increases at each clock signal. This clock timer is
read by "rdtscl" assembly command. With 2GHZ the time stamp counter
will increment every 500 picoseconds.
2.3	RTC - Real time clock
Real time clock (RTC) frequency is up to 8 KHz and accuracy is quite
good. RTC is running on battery and is independent from the PC power.
2.4	HPET - High Precision Event timer
High Precision Event timer is a new timer developed by Intel and
Microsoft. It is a chip containing several 64bit or 32bit timer. Each
timer frequency is at least 10Mhz. It raises a hardware interrupt
every 100ns.
2.5	CPU Local Timer
The Local APIC is in present x86 microprocessors. It is based on the
bus clock signal.
2.6	PM - ACPI power management
ACPI (Advanced configuration power interface) is resident in almost
all ACPI-based motherboards. This is a simple counter with frequency
3.58 MHz. It does not generate any interrupts but accesses able
through an I/O port.