Re: project

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:06:49 +0530
"amey mahamuni" <ameymahamuni@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       I am ameya and I want to do a 3-4 month project in linux memory
> management
> I am interested in page replacement policy.as I am new to linux kernel I not
> able to select particular page replacement algorithm for study.
>   so, I would like to know  any enhancement or any improvement in present
> algorithm . what page replacement algorithm is used by latest kernel version

The latest kernel from Linus uses a complex combination of
replacement algorithms.  There are two pageout lists (active
and inactive), with different policies for pages, depending
on whether they are swap backed, anonymous, filesystem backed
and mapped or unmapped.

The -mm tree has the split LRU VM, which has more pageout
lists: active anon, inactive anon, active file, inactive file
and unevictable.

Anonymous (and other swap backed) pages use a simple two-handed
clock replacement algorithm, while file backed pages use a
use-once algorithm that somewhat resembles 2Q.  Pages that cannot
be evicted are placed on the unevictable list, to keep them out
of the way of the VM.

The split LRU VM has a fairly simple balancing scheme to put
different pageout pressure on the two sets of lists (anon and file)
depending on the fraction of pages on each list that were recently
referenced.

One thing missing is good tests for a page replacement system.

With hard disks having latencies around 100,000 times higher than
RAM latencies, the old "this algorithm has a 95% hit rate, while
this one has an 80% hit rate" measurement strategies are no longer
adequate, since either hit rate would result in absolutely
atrocious performance.

The lack of a good way to test page replacements systems means it
is very difficult to decide whether one page replacement system is
better than another.

This lack of information, in turn, makes it difficult to decide on
an implementation for the VM's pageout mechanism.

Some of the problems (but no real solutions) have been gathered here:

http://linux-mm.org/AdvancedPageReplacement

--
All rights reversed.