Re: Preventing module->init from being freed

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 07:17:25PM -0500, Asim wrote:
> Well - I wanted to re-initalized the device to its old state by
> clearing the .bss, copying the old .data, calling the init function
> followed by replaying the device history on it. I was not getting the
> .init function by calling the module->init() as it is deleted by
> sys_init_module on a successful loading. And I wanted to prevent it
> from being cleared but was not able to initially. Sorry for the
> confusion.

But that's not recovering the device to it's old state, that is changing
the driver.

Devices can be "removed" and added back virtually through the bus
interfaces.  That "clears" out any remaining state that the driver might
have for the device, and then you can add it back and it should start
over initializing it.

That should be much simpler and you can do that at the bus level, not at
the individual driver level.

thanks,

greg k-h