Re: any reviews on "essential linux device drivers"?

Hello,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Matthias Kaehlcke wrote:
>
>> El Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 12:25:51PM -0400 Robert P. J. Day ha dit:
>> >   http://elinuxdd.com/index.html
>> >
>> > and about to read it cover to cover.  anyone else already been
>> > down that road?  thoughts?
>>
>> i bought it a couple of months ago and am working myself through it.
>> imo it is a book for people who already have knowledge about basic
>> kernel mechanisms like synchronization, process management, page
>> cache, ... and want to dig deeper in driver specific issues. the
>> book introduces most of the basic stuff, but i think if i was a
>> complete newbie i'd be rather confused. i would recommend to read it
>> after having worked through "Linux Device Drivers" and optionally
>> "Linux Kernel Development". the book contains a lot of useful
>> information about subsystems (pci, usb, net, wifi, ...) and driver
>> implementation.

Have had it for half a year now, had skimmed it through after it arrived.

It proved inmensely useful when I started doing some touchscreen
driver development. Saved me hours of surfing and the "virtual mouse"
driver helped me prototype a system where the touchscreen hardware
wasn't ready yet. (BTW, I have the driver available and committed to
OpenEmbedded).

Anytime you dive into a new subsystem, this book helps,

Regards,
--
Leon