Re: ext2_find_near

On 31-07-08 23:11, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

Le Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:07:40 +0200,
Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

I don't even really have a good idea of WHAT is being allocated here though and will not be finding out due to a fairly high non-interest
in the specifics of filesystems. The usual context in wich to find
the term "colouring" is in "cache colouring", where you lay out data
so that the chances of two bits of said data competing for the same
cacheline are diminished and knowing that I felt that a reply, even
though it did no more than repeat the source code comment really,
could perhaps still be useful.

Wikipedia has a page about this,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_coloring>. Fairly limited, though.

Also a different usage of the term than I do above. My usage is in line with the Linux SLAB allocator's use of of the term cache colouring.

(note, SLAB. just, lightly, checked and SLUB/SLOB do not seem to support a colouring feature. how depressing.)

Rene.