Re: "soft" vs "hard" real-time?

On Monday 14 July 2008 20:36:57 andi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It think first you have to define what real-time is. There are so many
> definitions around, but the one I prefer is the one given in the book
> "Real-Time Systems - Design Principles for Distributed Applications" by
> Hermann Kopetz:
>
> "A real-time computer system is a computer system in which
> the correctness of the system behavior depends not only on
> the logical results of the computations, but also on the
> physical time, when these results are produced.
> The point in time when a result has to be produced is called a
> deadline.
> Deadlines are dictated by the environment of the real-time
> computer system."
>
> Furthermore he defines:
> "If the result has utility even after the deadline, we call the
> deadline soft. Systems with soft deadlines are not the focus
> of these lectures.
> If the result has no utility after the deadline has passed, the
> deadline is called firm.
> If a catastrophe could result if a strict deadline is missed, the
> deadline is called hard.
> A real-time computer system that has to meet at least one hard
> deadline is called a hard real-time system.
> Hard- and soft real-time system design are fundamentally
> different."

You should also consider firm realtime systems, where the deadlines can be
missed without bring down the entire system, but the result might be useless
or degraded.

> You wanted a good online explanation, and I cited you the book, but you
> can find the definition on slides from Hermann Kopetz here:
> http://ti.tuwien.ac.at/rts/teaching/courses/ezs/Pdf_Slides_WS07/1_Introduct
>ion.pdf He also suggests some other ways to classify real-time systems.
>
> I know my answer does not tell you anything about real-time linux. I
> don't know what you mean with WRT linux? is this some real-time linux
> project? i only know openwrt, but thats nothing about real-time.

I think he means "With Respect To" (or regard?)

If you follow the strict definition of hard real-time systems, I don't think
you could call Linux a real-time OS, as you *cannot* possibly guarantee to
meet all deadlines (as you have interrupts, soft-irqs, etc etc). The kernel
is *way* to complex.

However, you can make a pretty good attempt at making it a hard real-time
system, but I'd say it's rather "very firm" than hard.

If you're looking for a hard real-time linux system, I'd say throw an email to
either the AVR32-camp or the ARM-people. As a Norwegian, I'm naturally
inclined to promoted AVR ;)

--
mvh Henrik Austad