Re: "soft" vs "hard" real-time?

Hi!

It think first you have to define what real-time is. There are so many
definitions around, but the one I prefer is the one given in the book
"Real-Time Systems - Design Principles for Distributed Applications" by
Hermann Kopetz:

"A real-time computer system is a computer system in which
the correctness of the system behavior depends not only on
the logical results of the computations, but also on the
physical time, when these results are produced.
The point in time when a result has to be produced is called a
deadline.
Deadlines are dictated by the environment of the real-time
computer system."

Furthermore he defines:
"If the result has utility even after the deadline, we call the
deadline soft. Systems with soft deadlines are not the focus
of these lectures.
If the result has no utility after the deadline has passed, the
deadline is called firm.
If a catastrophe could result if a strict deadline is missed, the
deadline is called hard.
A real-time computer system that has to meet at least one hard
deadline is called a hard real-time system.
Hard- and soft real-time system design are fundamentally
different."

You wanted a good online explanation, and I cited you the book, but you
can find the definition on slides from Hermann Kopetz here:
http://ti.tuwien.ac.at/rts/teaching/courses/ezs/Pdf_Slides_WS07/1_Introduction.pdf
He also suggests some other ways to classify real-time systems.

I know my answer does not tell you anything about real-time linux. I
don't know what you mean with WRT linux? is this some real-time linux
project? i only know openwrt, but thats nothing about real-time.

Some good links for Real-Time linux are listed below:

http://www.osadl.org/Realtime-Linux.projects-realtime-linux.0.html
	- The Open Source Automation Development lab here you can also
	   find some further links
http://dslab.lzu.edu.cn/docs/summer_school_2005/docs/study.pdf
	- A comparative study of different real-time linux projects
	  (e.g. RTlinux/GPL, RTAI, ADEOS)
http://www.realtimelinuxfoundation.org/
	- The realtimelinuxfoundation organizes a real-time linux every
	  year, you can download the papers of the previous 9 workshops 	 	  on
the homepage.

regards
Andi