Re: a few simple questions about "kexec"

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

> I think I can help on your 1st question...
>
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 2:38 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >  i want to start playing with kexec and i've noticed some
> > confusing (and possibly erroneous) documentation.
> >
> >  first, i see that, when you configure a kernel you're about to
> > build, you can make it relocatable.  with kexec, i'm assuming that
> > that only makes a difference with the kernel you are going to
> > kexec *to* -- whether or not the current kernel is relocatable is
> > not relevant, is that right?
>
> Up to certain degree, I agree with you. However, one thing that I
> still have doubt, after we switch into the kexec-ed kernel, is it
> just that simple or we need to do some further arrangements...let's
> say kernel memory layout?

ok, but my issue is a bit more basic ...

> I asked this because most of the times we use kexec not just for
> keeping our machine running..but to inspect and analyze what when
> wrong..and that means inspecting the old kernel (and its context). I
> guess that urges the new kernel to rearrange old kernel...possibly
> relocation some part of old kernel, be it the data section or code
> section.

so you're successfully using kexec, then?  good, because here's what i
want to know.  can i build a new kernel and kexec to it on a full,
running system?  in my case, i have a laptop running fedora 9.  i
can configure and build a new (relocatable) kernel, but i can't help
but feel that it can't be that simple.  so, mulyadi, how are you doing
this?  are you kexec'ing on a running system?  if so, can you post the
recipe?  i'd like to give this a shot, and the online docs are
sometimes a bit confusing.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.