Re: a few simple questions about "kexec"

I think I can help on your 1st question...

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 2:38 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  i want to start playing with kexec and i've noticed some confusing
> (and possibly erroneous) documentation.
>
>  first, i see that, when you configure a kernel you're about to
> build, you can make it relocatable.  with kexec, i'm assuming that
> that only makes a difference with the kernel you are going to kexec
> *to* -- whether or not the current kernel is relocatable is not
> relevant, is that right?

Up to certain degree, I agree with you. However, one thing that I
still have doubt, after we switch into the kexec-ed kernel, is it just
that simple or we need to do some further arrangements...let's say
kernel memory layout?

I asked this because most of the times we use kexec not just for
keeping our machine running..but to inspect and analyze what when
wrong..and that means inspecting the old kernel (and its context). I
guess that urges the new kernel to rearrange old kernel...possibly
relocation some part of old kernel, be it the data section or code
section.

CMIIW people...

regards,

Mulyadi.