Re: Memory usage and /proc/meminfo question

Hello Li,

Thanks for your response.

On 23 jun 2008, at 04:00, Li Xiaodong wrote:
According to the information you give, my suggestions are as follows:
1. Check if there are daemon processes named pdflush running in your system.

If have 2 pdflush daemons running.

2. If NOT,
	2.1 turn the value of /proc/sys/vm/dirty_backgound_ratio to 5 or
less. 	2.2 turn the value of /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio to 5 or less.
	2.3 turn the value of /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs to 5 or
less.
	2.4 wait
3. If it still not works,
	3.1 turn the value of /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure to 1000.
	3.2 run a much-memory-occupy program.
	3.3 wait

Ok, I increased vfs_cache_pressure from 100 to 1000 and created a large process. Apparently it freed up some memory by shrinking the cache. So now my MemFree has increased and Buffers and Cached are much smaller. But it has not really solved the larger issue.

Adding MemFree + Buffers + Cached + AnonPages + Mapped + Slab still ends up at only about 348464, so I'm still wondering where the other 60% of my physical memory is hanging out.

Why did you ask me to increase vfs_cache_pressure. Do you think something is wrong with the dentry cache?
I think dcache memory should show up under SReclaimable, is that right?

Do you agree that MemFree + Buffers + Cached + AnonPages + Mapped + Slab should add up to total physical memory or am I missing something?

4. If it still not works, reboot your computer...

Sure, but that would be admitting defeat.

Thanks, Joris.