Memory usage and /proc/meminfo question

Hello,

My system recently started to act as if it is low on memory: much
harddisk activity and relatively high usage of swap. I have not seen
such behaviour before.

The problem seems to persist even after stopping nearly all applications
including the X server. I have not rebooted the machine yet, because
I want to understand this situation before I destroy it.

My question: What part of the system is using up my physical memory?
Can anyone help me figure out this issue?

Physical memory is 1 GB.
I disabled swap just to make it easier to investigate this issue.
My kernel is Linux 2.6.25.4 for x86_64 with a 32-bit userland.

Adding up all VSZ numbers from "ps auxw" gets me to about 75 MB,
so I figure I should have lots and lots of free memory.

But /proc/meminfo gives me:
MemTotal:     996320 kB
MemFree:       67708 kB
Buffers:       17716 kB
Cached:        62412 kB
SwapCached:        0 kB
Active:        27320 kB
Inactive:      58720 kB
SwapTotal:         0 kB
SwapFree:          0 kB
Dirty:            12 kB
Writeback:         0 kB
AnonPages:      5932 kB
Mapped:         3916 kB
Slab:         193560 kB
SReclaimable:  26076 kB
SUnreclaim:   167484 kB
PageTables:      464 kB
NFS_Unstable:      0 kB
Bounce:            0 kB
CommitLimit:  498160 kB
Comitted_AS:   15536 kB
VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed:     600 kB
VmallocChunk: 34359736326 kB

One of my problems is that I really don't know how to read /proc/meminfo.
What do the numbers mean?
Are there rules such as Slab = SReclaimable + SUnreclaim?

For example, it seems to me that all physical memory must be used
either by slab, cache or userland. So I tried adding it all up:
Buffers + Cached + AnonPages + Mapped + Slab + MemFree = 351244.
That is still way below 1 GB, so where are my other 645076 kB?

I'm starting to suspect a problem in the kernel. I upgraded
to 2.6.25.4 a few weeks before this problem came up. Also, I'm
now running with CONFIG_SPARSEMEM while all my previous kernels
used CONFIG_FLATMEM.

Any help appreciated.

Joris.