Re: waiting for device /dev/hda1 to appear

Quick hint...

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:16 AM, Mrunal Gawade <mrunal.gawade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to recompile kernel 2.5.15 on a machine with default
> configuration. I could build the kernel successfully, ramdisk was created
> but when I rebooted the kernel after ramdisk was loaded the booting
> procedure got stuck giving following message for around 10 seconds and then
> I was redirected to a shell. I could see the ramdisk loaded with different
> file systems like /proc and others present, but /dev/hda1 was not present.
>
> --waiting for device /dev/hda1 to appear ----------------------

compare your own .config file with distro supplied .config. Use "diff"
to quickly notice the differences.

My guesses, you forgot to compile or include RAID, LVM, or certain
filesystem supports. Make sure your initrd is created against the
correct kernel tree and make sure.

Also, try to make sure it's hda1... possibly it's now renamed into
sda1 (hd* into sd* due to new libata).

regards,

Mulyadi.