Linux and driver models

Hi Guys,

I am doing a very interesting stuff of porting Linux to a PPC Board.
The board is now operational with all the basic functionality and I am
able to do things like access the tty through serial, load/unload
modules.

Now, I have to start of and write some drivers for CPLD based devices
and few other simple drivers for controlling simple hardware.
I have worked on char, block drivers till now and not worked on any
other models.

In the recent past, I have observed that there are other driver models
that are applicable based on the context.
In such models, I am aware of platform drivers, class drivers(non-usb)
but I am not sure about when to use them

I have read though some of the docs in 'driver-models' folder. I am
not much clean on the application of these driver models.
I have browsed through code in ep9312 as well. but, I though it would
give be a better picture if I listen form you guys.

What is application of these driver models?
Are there other driver models other than platform, class?
If I want to write a simple driver to control different small
sub-systems on my PPC brd, I am planning to use char model/ioctl
commands to accomplish this. Is there a better way to do it.

I have plans to submit my code to kernel, so please let me know what
is more appropriate.

Regards,
Bhanu J