Re: Deferring work in the page fault handler

Hi man....

First, kudos for your work on  kmemcheck....i haven't tried it by
myself but I think it's a cool piece of codes.

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was reading Matthew Wilcox's paper on softirqs, tasklets, bottom
> halves, task queues, work queues, and timers. But I am still a little
> unsure of the best way to proceed. My requirement of not accessing
> dynamically allocated memory seem unprecedented in the kernel. E.g.,
> one of my earliest attempts included using a kernel thread and waking
> it up from the page fault handler, but this did not work because
> adding the kthread to a runqueue would access dynamically allocated
> memory.
>
> Does it seem like softirqs or tasklets can do what I want?
>
> Help is much appreciated.

then you need somekind of statically allocated pages locked on RAM?
possibly they are allocated on boot? pfff i forgot the name, kinda
boot_allocate_pages() or something like that...

now, for the acceleration....i think it should be tasklet in high
priority. If possible, try to bind this taskled to run only on certain
processor (not sure if it's doable).

regards,

Mulyadi.