Re: Deferring work in the page fault handler

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 21-05-08 14:08, Rene Herman wrote:
>
>> On 21-05-08 12:04, Vegard Nossum wrote:
>>
>>> In addition to this, I must _not_ access any memory allocated by
>>> kmalloc(), as this may generate a new (recursive) page fault.
>>
>> Do feel free to educate me; I completely don't understand the question.
>> kmalloc() alocated memory is non-swappable. How are you going to take a page
>> fault from accessing it?
>
> (never mind -- it occurred to me moments after sending this was going to be
> the point of that kmemcheck thing you mentioned and which I'm not familiar
> with)

Hehe, yes, indeed :-)

It's a bit tricky. It works with the timer too, but it's a sub-optimal
solution. I don't even know if any other way is even possible.

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it