Re: Sysctl re-deprecated!

Rene Herman wrote:
On 29-04-08 08:42, Scott Lovenberg wrote:

Scott Lovenberg wrote:
Rene Herman wrote:

The "proper" way of setting sysctl's is in fact though the sysctl program:

# sysctl kernel.randomize_va_space=0

but hey...

Actually, I think sysctl is deprecated and on its way out. I'd better double check that. I think the general consensus was that there was no need for it since you can just echo in arguments. Maybe Red Hat is deprecating it and I'm thinking it's everyone. I'll get back to you guys on this in a few hours.

HAHA! Found it. LWN Article reproduced here just in case the article moves in the future:

  Re-deprecating sysctl()

By *Jonathan Corbet*
August 29, 2007
The sysctl() system call allows a suitably-privileged application to

That's the binary sysctl interface, the sysctl(2) system call. The sysctl(8) _program_ though just uses /proc/sys as its interface.

Well, my version does at least:

# sysctl --version
sysctl (procps version 3.2.7)

strace yours to make vewy, vewy sure but as far as I'm aware nothing regular has used the binary interface anymore for years.

So yes, "proper" was in quotes for a reason; it doesn't much matter if it's you or the program that echoes things into /proc/sys, but, again, hey...

Rene.
D'oh!  My misunderstanding.  Thanks for clarifying!