Re: Question on flow of control at the time of interrupt.

I understand that at 'and' instruction it is actually preserving mode bits as offset in the table immediately following this code. But why we are using such a trick? Are we getting some kind of optimization by doing so?

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 4:23 PM, sahlot arvind <asahlot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In order to understand the code, at the moment I ignored 'stubs_offset'.

>/*
> * Interrupt dispatcher
  >*/
  >     vector_stub     irq, IRQ_MODE, 4

After expansion it will look some thing like this -

vector_irq:
                blah - blah
       @ the branch table must immediately follow this code
        and     lr, lr, #0x0f
        mov     r0, sp
        ldr     lr, [pc, lr, lsl #2]
        movs    pc, lr          @ branch to handler in SVC mode
       .long   __irq_invalid                 @  1  (FIQ_26 / FIQ_32)
  .    .long   __irq_invalid                @  2  (IRQ_26 / IRQ_32)
       .long   __irq_svc                   @  3  (SVC_26 / SVC_32)
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  4
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  5
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  6
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  7
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  8
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  9
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  a
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  b
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  c
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  d
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  e
       .long   __irq_invalid                   @  f

I guess that the instruction in the above code -
    movs    pc, lr          @ branch to handler in SVC mode
will jump to address specified by
   .long   __irq_svc                   @  3  (SVC_26 / SVC_32)

Assuming I am right then the instruction -
ldr     lr, [pc, lr, lsl #2]
will set 'lr' to the address of '__Irq_svc'. But I am unable to understand how come this instruction is setting up lr to point to __irq_svc?
In the above code while executing 'and' instruction 'lr' contains the value of 'spsr' and last four bits are mode bits then this 'and' instruction is preserving those 4 bits (mode bits). But why do we need those bits and in 'ldr' why we are doing left shift by 2? Cannot we simply add 16 (since there are one instruction and 3 handler addresses after 'ldr' instruction) to 'pc' and load it into 'lr' so that 'lr' starts pointing to __irq_svc, which is 4 words down the 'ldr' instruction?
And one more question why do we have 16 handlers in each exception stub? why not just 1 (e.g. __irq_svc) or 2 (__irq_usr and __irq_svc)? and what is use of __irq_usr?

I am sorry I have put lot of questions in this email. But answers to them would really help me in understanding the code.

Thanks in advance.
- A Sahlot