Re: Linux Device Driver development

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Balraj Dahiya <dahbal76@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I want to learn Linux Device Driver development.I installed my Linux System
> and configured the kernel source 2.6.24.3 on it. So I want to know how to
> start the learning linux device driver development from scratch?
>
> Can anybody give me some best idea on how to start Linux Device Driver from
> basic?

Start something simple like creating new /proc or /sys entry,
exporting one or more variables so that it can be read from user
space.

Then step up...create things like new ioctl()s, new syscall, and so
on. Try to hack on loopback adapter driver, create netfilter module
and so on. It's up to you to specialize in a certain field e.g:
networking, USB, SCSI, video driver and so on.

Projects like open graphic driver (if I recall correctly) might bring
some interest to you too.

use cscope...or find it online @ lxr.linux.no

> I have already following books
> 1. Linux Device Driver Edition 3 O'relley
> 2. Linux Kernel Developmet    Robert Love
>
> Please give me some ideas.

Ideas are something you have to find for yourself....It's you who must
move yourself....nobody can do that for you even if they throw 1001
good ideas. Original ideas...coming from yourself, IMHO is the best
one. Yes, it might sound like mediocre idea...but everybody started
from mediocre state, even Linus.

Happy hacking...

regards,

Mulyadi.