Re: Generic errno which can be mapped to custom user error

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Mulyadi Santosa
<mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>

>  On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Manish Katiyar <mkatiyar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  >  As more applications are getting developed on linux shouldn't we have
>  >  a generic user errno ( similar to SIGUSR{1,2} ) which the user can use
>  >  to map his own custom error.
>
>  The problem is, purely my opinion, how many more we should add? This
>  doesn't mean I am trying to offend your idea, Manish. In fact, if we
>  have "plenty of room" for errno and user space can adapt such a fast
>  change, maybe that won't be a problem.
>
>  This kind of problem is similar to question: should it become syscall
>  or not? Should we change existing syscall parameters composition or
>  not? This might or might not introduce new problem.

Thanks Mulyadi for your comments. Indeed I thought that just adding an
errno for your use would break many existing userspace applications
and errno is something without which it is not possible to write even
a single *working* application. And with common utilities like ls,
read which deal with all the applications I dont think it is feasible
to add lot of appplication specific errno and expect these syscalls to
interpret and return you the proper error reason. That was the reason
I wanted a single errno which is generic enough that *just* tells the
user that something unexpected has happened and now you need to know
more about the application to find out why it failed.

Thanks

--
Thanks & Regards,
Manish Katiyar  ( http://mkatiyar.googlepages.com )