Generic errno which can be mapped to custom user error

Hi,

As more applications are getting developed on linux shouldn't we have
a generic user errno ( similar to SIGUSR{1,2} ) which the user can use
to map his own custom error.
Although there are many errno already defined, one may not find which
exactly maps to his requirement

For example :

If I have a constraint that no file size can be more than a blocksize
in my filesystem, under such cases I need to return an error to the
user if the size extends beyond blocksize. The closest error which can
be returned seems to be ENOSPC. But in such cases user will see an
error message "No space left on device" which is not a case. I might
have more blocks which can be used by different files.

It would be nice If I had a generic errno like -EUSER which says to
user like "Application specific error : Please see the application's
man page". In such case each application can easily document the exact
reason under which such errno is returned and the user knows the exact
reason for failure, which I don't see with the existing one.

Comments/thoughts ?? Did I miss anything ??

--
Thanks & Regards,
Manish Katiyar  ( http://mkatiyar.googlepages.com )