Re: unclean root file-system after shutting down from single-user-mode

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Pravin <shindepravin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  >  I think you'd better use the standard init, which has support for
>  >  startup and shutdown scripts. If you customize them, together with a
>  >  custom inittab, then you can have your system start just your
>  >  application, but still do certain actions upon startup and shutdown.
>  >
>  This seems much cleaner way of doing it.
>  But my only concern is that Will it affect the performance.. ??
>  I mean now I will be having one extra process with my application
>  which will need some resources.
>  Will init will compete with my application in CPU scheduling or it will sleep
>  and wait for some event to happen?

I doubt that init will have a lot to do while your application is
running.  According to me, init will just sleep and performance of
your application will not be degraded. Maybe someone else can confirm
this.

How constrained are the resources on your system? Is this a real-time
application?

The best thing to be sure is to do a performance test on your original
way (where init=application) and on the solution with inittab.

Thomas