kernel / userspace HZ

Hello,

For my ARM processor (PXA255) i use kernel 2.6.22 and a kernel HZ value of 1000.
I want to use that counter in my application. i use times() for that.
The manpage of times() says:

RETURN VALUE
The function times returns the number of clock ticks that have elapsed since an arbitrary point in the past. For Linux this point is the moment the system was booted. This return value may overflow the pos- sible range of type clock_t. On error, (clock_t) -1 is returned, and
      errno is set appropriately.

I expect when i run this code:

clock_t ticks;
ticks = times(NULL);
sleep(1);
ticks = times(NULL);

That the return value of times() is around 1000 ticks further.
In my application i see that this gives a result of 100 ticks further instead of the expected 1000.

Am i doing something wrong here? Is this value converted to some sort of userspace HZ?
I have tried it on x86 also and it gives the same behaviour.

Thanks,
Chris.